Stay In Your Lane

I am reminded on this Friday morning that there are some crucial evaluation measures that I am responsible for taking periodically.  So, today, as I prepare to go to bowl in the Women's Nationals Tournament in Baton Rouge, I have some decisions to make.  Going on a trip as a family caregiver is a little different than going as a single lady and different than just a family vacation.  There are considerations that need to be made for the home front in order for me to have peace of mind while I am gone.  So, as I go down my "to do" list of things to be done in the house (laundry, packing, filling the med case for extra days, paying caregivers before I leave so that I don't miss pay dates, re-stocking supplies needed for my Mom's care), I have to consider,  "what is most important?", "how can I consolidate the errand run I have to make?", "when will I stop doing things so I have enough time to relax and get myself ready to go?"  What I am really reminded of is that just because I am capable of many things, it doesn't mean that I should be doing all of those things.  I need to stay in my lane and let others handle their own.   This is a very liberating thought.  I need to stay on task in a few key areas:  household management, homecare management, self-care management.  It doesn't do me any good to nearly kill myself getting ready to go away for 3 days.  I will be no good while I am away and I won't have my head in the game.  So, today,  I am only doing what is most important.  I am organizing my tasks by location so that I don't spend my time running around town today.  And I am scheduling non-priority items for other days in the coming week.  There are some live online activities that I am slated to participate in.  But I may have to catch some portions later on my 9 hour car ride.  This is so much better of a plan than trying to get everything done before I go with no good pattern of how to make it all happen.  This way I know all of the priorities are taken care of.  I will be completely present today.  100% where I am - not looking into the future; not worrying about what is not getting done at the moment.  But fully engaged and 100% in the present.  Alright...It's time to make stuff happen!!

No comments: